Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Drowning in a sea of noise…

Wow… I’ve been thinking about what to write about tonight, seeing as how I feel the need to post something, but I didn’t really want to just post for the sake of posting. If I had wanted to do that I could have written something about the Simpsons or how the Leafs won last night or something like that… But lately I’ve been thinking about blogs. What are they, really? They’re their owner’s personal (and yet very public) online forum. Yay. Seems like there are many hundreds of thousands (or probably tens of millions) of blogs online. That’s a lot of noise… Everybody with their own personal podium, declaring (writing) their opinions for the whole world to see. Blogs took quite the interesting turn through the media during the past election here in Canada, in particular when one of the party bigwigs got into trouble with opinions posted on their blog… Whoops. Guess there should be a degree of discreetness in blogging. Maybe. Or maybe people should be aware that opinions aren’t always a safe thing to post online.

But what makes this blog special compared to all the others? Well… For one, it’s mine, and therefore it’s important to me. My single solitary voice among the many others. :)

Second, I’d like to think that it contains some Truth as well as my opinions. Not relative truth. Relative truth is a misnomer. By definition truth cannot be relative. Dictionary.com defines truth as follows:

1. Conformity to fact or actuality.

2. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.

3. Sincerity; integrity.

4. Fidelity to an original or standard.

5. a. Reality; actuality.

b. often Truth That which is considered to be the supreme reality and to have the ultimate meaning and value of existence.

Numbers 1 and 2 essentially show that truth cannot be relative – facts cannot conflict with each other. You can’t tell me that one person’s view of “truth” is just as valid as another person’s view of “truth” if they disagree. In that situation, there are 2 outcomes: either (a) one person is wrong; or (b) they’re both wrong. #5-b goes along with this thought too. Either we’re all wrong, or a few people are right. The question is – which group are you in? Are you sure you know? (More to follow next post.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jason said...

Hey Dre Eh,

I Like what you said about blogs. WHen it comes down to the bottom of things, a blog is whatever you want it to be.... whether it is an expression of yourself, a site of outreach and connections, a place to advertise your business, or whatever.

I will be a regular visitor from now on.

Cheers,
Jason

08 February, 2006 23:31  
Blogger Melanie Gagnon said...

Let's see... blogging. I have a blog, I've had one for a while. I DEFINITELY censor it (I mean, come on, my PARENTS read it!)

Mostly I use it as a tool to keep people informed as to my comings and goings. If they wanna know what's new, they can check my blog. If they don't.... well, that's their problem.

But you're right. It's also a tool for talking about TRUTH. God's truth. I've got a few non-Christians reading my blog, and I like to think that maybe, just maybe, I'm challenging someone to think differently.

08 February, 2006 23:52  
Blogger Marie said...

Hello andre...

Great blog you have hear...
interesting entry....

I Just write anything and everything in my blog hehe....

Im still waiting for a comment from ya HEHe.....

I Will Come here often too....

Hope ya feeling better dude...

God Bless Ya Mate!
Blessings In Jesus
Mazzer
x

09 February, 2006 04:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home